Should you have an interest in this Job, please note the Title and Job# in the Subject line and email your resume to click here. Thank you.
Manager, Individual Life Underwriting
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field required.
Other Requirements: Include:
- FLMI or equivalent industry designation or progress toward designation required.
- 6 to 10 years in underwriting or equivalent required.
- Experience supervising a team of associates.
- Professional oral and written communication skills required.
- Comprehension of underwriting principles and guidelines required.
- Talent required in mission, competition, focus, delegation, exactness, positivity, relationship, recruiting, leading, persuasion, business thinking and profit orientation.
Salary Range: $80k to $100k+ DOE
Description: Under supervision of the Director of Underwriting Services, the Manager, Individual Life Underwriting supervises an underwriting team. This team consists of 9 underwriters ranging from an Underwriter I to Sr. Underwriter. The Manager, Individual Life Underwriting also works with other departments on the development of computer systems; assists with product development; and performs other functions. Duties and responsibilities include:
- 50% Supervision of an underwriting team, which includes:
- Providing instructions regarding the different underwriting procedures and systems.
- Creating and assigning division projects.
- Reviewing the development and accomplishments of associates with the balanced scorecard program.
- Conducting monthly audits for quality and compliance metrics.
- Ensuring compliance with government regulations and product guidelines.
- Coaching and mentoring associates regarding technical underwriting and producer relationship skills.
- 40% Works with other departments on the development of computer systems, which includes:
- Researching potential avenues for enhancement to workflow.
- Providing information for the modification of existing systems.
- Working with departments to create new methods of processing work to increase efficiency.
- Testing the accuracy of the new systems or procedures prior to implementation.
- 5% Assists with product development, which includes:
- Creating division forms and applications.
- Reviewing product information for accuracy.
- 5% Performs other functions, which includes:
- Backing up associates during absences.
- Providing product and procedure information to other departments.
- Creating and updating procedure manuals.
- Preparing month-end reports.